Wednesday, July 10, 2013

How to Paint Sugar Cookies, an alternative to icing and piping

I have seen on Pinterest painted sugar cookies and cakes. Since, I love painting and baking, I thought this would be a fun alternative to piping, flooding, icing and all the tips and bags and mess. We are throwing a baby shower to celebrate my baby nephew on the way, so these are for the shower.  I drew some mod designs first to try to meet my SIL's contemporary, mod, retro style.

You will need:
iced sugar cookies (or fondant covered)
food coloring
paint brushes
water
plate
paper towels

1. I baked the sugar cookies... if you are new to my blog... I am addicted to this recipe... and for something a little different, I substituted almond extract for vanilla - they are sooo good.  This dough recipe is awesome.  Easy to make, doesn't need to be chilled, keeps its' shape and tastes so good.

2. I thinly rolled out fondant and covered the cookies.  Lightly paint water onto the fondant and it will stick to the cookies. You can ice them too, whichever you prefer. You get a batch of blank edible canvases!  I have let the kids decorate cookies with edible marker pens, read about that here.  But today, we paint with food coloring!

3. I have seen in the craft store, edible paints and dyes, but all you really need is food coloring. Any kind. I happen to have Wilton gel food dyes and love them. I used water to dilute the gel, but read you could use vodka or some alcohol base that will dry quickly. The water worked fine.



4. I have a plastic paint pallette, (but a plate would be fine too), place small amounts of the food coloring into the wells. Use water to wet the brush and it is like painting with water colors! 

5. I drew some designs on paper first, so I had a plan. 

Important tips: Have a plan. Don't be nervous, and have fun, take your time and be creative.



I hope this is helpful to you, inspires you to try something new. Next time, I am letting my kids paint on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean a lot and are inspiring to me... so feel free to share your thoughts!